Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Martine


Last Friday I received a big package from my best friend in High School. Guess what was in the package?  Books from the MARTINE serie!!! It's an old French book collection for little girls! I was beside myself with joy and nostalgia just looking at those old picture books that I loved so much during my childhood!  

All the books in that collection are about Martine, the main character, and her life with her family and friends.  The books are written in French by Marcel Marlier and Gilbert Delahaye.  50 book titles have been published since the first one in 1954.

One thing about Martine is that style of the illustrations change slightly throughout the years and my favorite remain the drawings from the 50s and 60s. You can see that quite clearly in some of the pages below from the books I received. Each era is easily recognizable with the fashion and hairstyle depicted in the illustrations.




Martine en bateau (1961)




Martine petite maman (1968)



Martine fait la cuisine (1974)




Martine, la leçon de dessin (1999)



L'arche de Noé (2003)




9 comments:

  1. Wow, I love these! They are so sweet! What a great friend to send them to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is indeed a great friend! Thank you so much for your comment and the follow :)

      Delete
  2. Quand j'étais petite, il y avait une collection semblable à celle de Martine. L'héroïne s'appelait Coralie. Je crois qu'il existe six livres retraçant ses diverses aventures. J'en ai que trois pour ma part.
    Merci pour ce post avec les photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Laura! Je crois que tu m'as parlé de Coralie avant. C'est un bien joli nom et j'y avais pensé pour ma petite Chérie :)

      Delete
  3. Oui, tu as raison. J'aime bien ce prénom aussi, ça fait gentille chipie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. The pictures are so girly and sweet. I love this collection!

      Delete
  5. oh, my--these look lovely! I wish there were english translations! :) Maybe I'll just have to learn french!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard the books were translated in many languages but I think they may be very difficult to find. Even the old French ones are a rare find in second-hand bookstores!

      Delete