Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Movies

Only seven more days until Christmas! How did it go by so fast?
 
Despite my home looking very Christmassy this year, I still don't feel it's Christmas yet.  I guess it's time to pull out the Christmas movies and watch them together with the kids! Which means try to entertain baby with something while we watch or wait until she sleeps.
 
I'll share with you my 3 favorite Christmas movies!


Photo from Amazon.com
1) The Shop Around the Corner (1940)

It's a black and white movie by Ernst Lubitsch with James Stewart Margaret Sullavan as main characters.  Hollywood produced a remake in 2008 and re-named it "You've Got Mail" with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.  I watched both versions and while I do like the more recent version, I think it is a fade comparison to its original. 
 
It's a romantic comedy with some drama but the overall tone is rather light despite some very sad events.  The story takes place in Budapest, Hungary during Christmas time.   Our two lead characters work in a shop and do not like each other.  But eventually, fate does reconcile them.
 
The backdrop reminds me of your typical Hollywood inside studio filming.  The acting is beautiful and you immediately root for James Stewart.  I think Stewart is absolutely admirable as an actor and he shines in this charming love story.
 
Margaret Sullavan is pretty and natural.  She pulls off her role with conviction.  Note to Wizard of Oz's fans, you will find Frank Morgan in the role of the shop owner.  In case you don't know about him, Frank Morgan is the actor who played 5 roles (including the role of the Wizard) in the 1939 Wizard of Oz movie
 
Photo from Amazon.com
 
This was my favorite Christmas cartoon when I was little.  I love the animated version because it is a lot less dramatic than the movie version.  For a kid, it's a good and light introduction to Dickens' classic tale.
 
I love how Disney has added many characters from other movies into this film like Jiminy Cricket, Goofy and Daisy.  I would totally recommend watching this movie with your kids!
 
Photo from Amazon.com

I have seen 2 film versions only of the famous novel written by Louisa May Alcott: the 1949 and 1993 versions.  I love Wynona Ryder and Susan Sarandon in the modern movie but I still like this 1949 version the most! 
 
All the actresses were gorgeous!  Their costumes were to die for.  The scenery was perfect! And the story was moving and sang to my heart.  I don't have one single bad thing to say about it... except June in the role of Jo was maybe a bit over the top.

Janeit Leigh was so incredibly sweet and Elizabeth Taylor was perfect in her role!  I think the casting was genius and I can't wait to watch it again.  It's one of those movies that you'll never forget.

I have added a Christmas Movie section in my Amazon Shop which you can see on the sidebar too!
 

Do you have a favorite Christmas movie?

9 comments:

  1. Hello from Spain: I like movies of Christmas themes. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marta! I am a big fan too! Most of my favorite movies are actually Christmas movies!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jane,
    I love A Christmas Story & the original Dr. Suess How the Grinch Stole Christmas movies. I must admit I have not watched the Shop Around the Corner and may have to check it out this year. I love old movies.
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot Dr. Seuss! Love love love the story! The music and songs are so wonderful as well.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE The Shop Around the Corner! It's one of my favorites, too. There was an earlier remake with Judy Garland called In the Good Old Summertime, but it's not as good. It's not as good as You Got Mail, either. I adore Mickey's Christmas Carol. I remember seeing it in the theater when I was little - five, I think? I prefer the B&W Katharine Hepburn version of Little Women, as well as the '94, sorry. ;)

    Other favorite Christmas movies? It's a Wonderful LIfe, Miracle on 34th Street, Holiday Inn, A Christmas Story, The Bishop's Wife, Elf, lots of made-for-tv classics... I'm a bit of a Christmas freak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to watch that Hepburn version one day! I remember It's a Wonderful Life too. It was a very moving movie but I was so annoyed with the irresponsible uncle LOL The Bishop's Wife was nice but I was a bit sad that she didn't end up with the Angel at the end ;-)

      Delete
  4. My favorites are: Miracle on 34th Street, Pocketful of Miracles, and Scrooged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Scrooged is a great one! I think I have seen Miracle on 34th Street when I was very young! I'll have to look up Pocketful of Miracles because I don't know about it!

      Delete
  5. Great recommendations! Elf is one of my new favourites.

    ReplyDelete